Wednesday 29 July 2009

The Golden Age of Couture

The hot, steamy and rainy weather we have been having lately has me on a search of fun things to do indoors. Throw in the recent boredom of my regular Central/Mid Levels routine I have decided to search for girly things to do away from Hong Kong Island. Lucky for me I discovered that the Hong Kong Heritage Museum has an exhibition called The Golden Age of Couture: Paris and London 1947-1957, which will be showing until September 28th. I am planning on recruiting Hester and Natalie to join me on a day trip to Sha Tin someday soon and we will discuss all things couture (and of course Sassy too!)

The exhibition highlights post-war couture during 1947-1957, which is the decade that Christian Dior called the "Golden Age" of fashion. It examines the history of couture and its introduction into the fashion we see on the runways today. The exhibition showcases the works of Christian Dior, Cristobal Balenciaga, Pierre Balmain and Hubert de Givenchy in Paris and their London counterparts Norman Hartnell and Hardy Amies. Also included in the exhibit are photographs, documentary film, textiles and archive material from this fashionable time period.

Not that you should need another reason to go but if you do I will give you one. You will see more than 100 dresses on display including daywear, cocktail and evening dresses made for the high society and royalty!

I am almost all set to go...I just need to figure out what I am going to wear!

Address:
1 Man Lam Road, Sha Tin
Opening Hours:
10am-6pm (Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat)
10am-7pm (Sun and public holidays)
Closed on Tuesday
Admission:
$20 (Thursday to Monday)
$10 (Wednesday)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you - please leave us a comment!