Tuesday 28 July 2009

Sassy Address: Dining Wok




When my husband and I were living in the States we dedicated every Sunday night to Chinese take-out. Usually that meant crab ragoons, wanton soup, egg rolls, General Tao's Chicken, and of course finished off with a fortune cookie! I have discovered that American Chinese Cuisine is basically a style of Chinese food that is not usually found in China! Deep-fried, stir-fried, and smothered in salt and oil seems to be the trend in American style Chinese food. Oh, and of course I don't want to forget about the MSG (although I think that most places are trying to offer the no MSG menus)! While I absolutely love the Chinese food here in Hong Kong, I actually have discovered a restaurant that prides itself on creating American Chinese Cuisine, The Dining Wok.

The Dining Wok is located on St. Francis Street in Wan Chai (very near to Star Street). The tables are decorated with the Chinese Zodiac Chart making for great conversation, I am the year of the Sheep. The menu is loaded with pictures and descriptions of all the dishes (very helpful to me!). We began with the pork pot-stickers and spring rolls, followed by wanton soup---and yes, the wantons were the fried wantons, sweet and sour chicken, and to my surprise we even had fortune cookies with our bill! I would say that the Dining Wok (which actually means "Big Trouble" in Cantonese) was a good match to our Sunday night take-out from the States.

The Dining Wok, G/F 12 St. Francis Street, Wan Chai, 2861-2722

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't had a chance to go to Dining Wok and it's kinda a shame as it's opened by my colleague classmate. He couldn't find authentic American Chinese food in Hong Kong and decided to bring some to our city.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY GUILTY PLEASURE. good to meet you girls earlier! by the way, apropos dining wok, check this out: http://curiousbites.blogspot.com, another food blog i do sporadically... =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, from your review looks like it has gone downhill and CHANGED a lot of recipes??? CHANGED General Tso's? The point of ABC Chinese food is it is the same EVERYWHERE! I once ordered takeout in NYC from a menu I found on the internet from Cleveland! So sad this Dining Wok could not stick to its guns until I had gotten a chance to eat there.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you - please leave us a comment!